Sunday, September 24, 2006

In The Mood For Emo

After hearing the news last week that Texas Is The Reason is re-forming for a show here in New York next month, I got to thinking about all of the other emo bands I used to love. I had a 4-year period (1998-2002) where emo, or post-punk as we liked to call it, was pretty much the main (sub)genre of music I was listening to.

Since 2002, though, I really haven't listened to a whole lot of emo. Most of my favorite bands broke up, and few of those that stayed together have put out much worth listening to. (Although, IMO, the Alkaline Trio have put out some decent stuff in recent years.)

So after a few years away from it, I figured now was as good a time as any go back and revisit some of my old emo favorites. To my ears, at least, they've held up amazingly well. Here are five of my favorite songs from that period.

Blueline Medic, "Making the Nouveau Riche" (from The Apology Wars)
Braid, "First Day Back" (from Frame and Canvas)
Cadillac Blindside, "Straightjacket Weather" (from These Liquid Lungs)
Get Up Kids, "One Year Later" (from Red Letter Day EP)
Mineral, "Gloria" (from The Power of Failing)

1 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger gretchen said...

Hey if you like the Get Up Kids, you should check out the Paper Chase. They've got a similar, yet unique sound you can check out at www.thepaperchase.net. Oh, and they're currently on the Explosions in the Sky tour throughout the US

 

Post a Comment

<< Home