Monday, September 11, 2006

Texas is the Reason (Part 2)

Today's news about the impending reunion of Texas Is The Reason made me realize that I've never gotten around to putting the band's EP and LP onto my most recent iPod. Figure while I'm doing that, it might be a good time to drop a couple songs on you:

Texas is the Reason, "Antique" [from the band's self-titled EP]
Texas is the Reason, "Back and To the Left" [from the Do You Know Where You Are? LP]

These guys pretty much epitomize mid-90's emo. They were part of what I referred to a while back as the "second wave" of emo, coming a couple years after Sunny Day Real Estate's seminal Diary album. Had things shaken out a little differently - i.e., had they not decided that they hated each other - these guys were in the middle of a pretty big label bidding war in 96/97 and could've been the band that sparked emo as a commercial force. Then again, maybe not - some pretty commercially acceptable emo bands failed to make a real dent in the late 90's (e.g., Jimmy Eat World's Clarity, The Promise Ring's Very Emergency, The Get Up Kids' Something To Write Home About).

Maybe the world needed Chris Carraba before it could be ready to embrace emo.

P.S. Chris still wants to kiss you.

6 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey I just did a post about them..
Haha.

come back texas please.

they are playing irving plaza nyc.

www.thepunkguy.com

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger KTM said...

Don't forget about Braid. "Frame And Canvas" should have made them a ton of dough.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Believe me, I love Frame and Canvas, but it was a much less commercial album than those other three albums. I wouldn't have been surprised if those other songs had scored actual radio hits ("Lucky Denver Mint" from Clarity even got a pretty serious push, including as the theme song to some Jennifer Love Hewitt TV show).

Frame and Canvas was (and remains) too ambitious musically to ever have gotten radio play, or huge sales numbers. (IMO, of course.)

Now if we're talking about Hey Mercedes, that's a different issue. (I'm not calling then unambitious - they were just a much more pop oriented band than Braid). HM should have been big.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger KTM said...

Good points. I guess I'm trying to give people a little too much credit. I'd still argue that "First Day Back" wouldn't sound out of place on certain commercial stations. I never gave Hew Mercedes a chance. Not sure why, really.

Enjoying these TITR tunes. Thanks.

 
At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of my Real estate Signs California was the best spot for me to get my affordable real estate needs handled for a exceptionally low price...

 
At 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

charlottesville real estate Was the Site I arrived at when I was offered the best real estate deal in my life you must contact this company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home