Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Wednesday Doldrums

Not too much going on around the web right now, but there's a couple things worth checking out...

Islands: For some reason I never really got into the Unicorns. I did own Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?, but never really connected with it even though everyone else in the world thought it was the greatest thing since neufchâtel cheese. And given that the band broke up soon after that album was released, it never occurred to me to go back and give it another chance.

I'm going to have to rethink that decision. Islands are a new band from Nick and Jamie of the Unicorns. Their new album, Return to the Sea, came out last week and, not surprisingly, Pitchfork really liked it. The only thing I've heard so far is the first single, "Rough Gem," which is great. Go watch the video for "Rough Gem" at YouTube.

Edited to add: You (and I) can hear more songs at the band's MySpace site.

Futureheads: I liked but didn't love the Futureheads' self-titled first album. Honestly, it just sounded too much like too many other bands to me. Moroccan Role links to a song off their new album, News and Tributes, this morning called "Skip to the End". Again, it's okay. Maybe you'll like it more than I do.

Son Volt: According to this month's Son Volt newsletter, "The band is back in the studio working on the next Son Volt album which will be released in Spring 2007." Cool.

Untitled: Although in my mind it's kind of burying the lede, you should go here and poke around a bit. As I've said before, I'm not one for pre-release distribution of CDs -- I'm not looking for RIAA trouble, and I'm still a little concerned that pre-release leaks might impact sales a bit (especially first week sales, which are vitally important), though then again that could be wrong. That said, there's an album linked at Kingblind that is fantastic and which proves, once and for all, that Pete just isn't that necessary. I can also comfort myself in the fact that I immediately went and pre-ordered the album. Enjoy.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw the Unicorns at Southpaw once. I was there to see the Amber Smith, aka Ashford Breaks; everyone else was there to see the Unicorns. The concept of good songwriting, power pop and Teenage Fanclub riffs seemed lost on them, as everyone pretty muched blabbed away througout. For this, I have always hated the Unicorns. Not their fault, of course, but still.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home