Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mark Kozelek @ Rock and Roll Hotel, DC [11/10/08]

Just when I thought I'd quit smoking after the election last week, I went to a Mark Kozelek show.

It's not that his music makes me want to smoke, like Trace or Being There do.

No, it's because I literally had to leave the room several times and go outside into the cold to avoid falling asleep.

I love Mark, I really do. I was a huge fan of Red House Painters, and Ghosts of the Great Highway is one of my favorite albums of the last few years.

But, man, is his live show boring. And it wasn't helped by the fact that Rock and Roll Hotel was PACKED and way too hot. (Don't get me wrong - I was pleasantly surprised to see the size of the crowd Mark pulled. It's just that a sold-out, packed crowd is not the best environment to see Mark play.) And, besides, I still haven't really caught up on my sleep after the past couple of months. So I'm not joking when I say I was close to falling asleep standing up.

My solution, for better or for worse, was to hit the cigarette machine by the door and have a few smokes outside. Lucky for me, I got to witness some dude puking his spleen out on the sidewalk. So it wasn't a complete loss. Oh, and Mark did play Genesis' Follow You, Follow Me, which was pretty awesome.

No pics, because there were signs everywhere saying no pics.

2 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the two times he's played in the area this year i've missed. seeing as i was absolutely beat from a crazy weekend, i'm glad i skipped it. thanks for the confirmation :)

so, what? see him if he comes as SKM?

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I saw him in Philly over the summer and it was so hot at the church that he played in that it was hard not to stick to the chairs. Great music, but I agree with the sentiment that it's not music to watch, but rather to do something else while you're enjoying it.

That said, if you come upon an mp3 version of follow you follow me live with the woman he performed with live on his tour... PLEASE let me know. it was incredible.

have a good 1.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home