Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"Choke" Trailer - Probably Gonna Suck

I've read about half of Chuck Palahniuk's books, and I'm still trying to find one that comes close to being half as good as the movie version of Fight Club.

The closest I've come is 2001's Choke, the touching story of a sex addict who pretends to choke on food in various fancy restaurants in order to get money to pay for his mother's nursing home care. While far from perfect, it's easily the funniest of the Palahniuk books that I've read, and the only one that didn't come across as trying too hard to be quirky and/or "dangerous".

The movie adaptation of Choke comes out on September 26th, and it's got a great cast, including the great Sam Rockwell, Anjeica Huston, and the amazingly-underappreciated Kelly Macdonald (who is, sadly, still married to one of the hacks from Travis). Despite a great cast, though, I can't say that the trailer, or any of the 30-second ads on TV, give me a whole lot of confidence in this movie.

Oh, and a memo to the movie industry -- using the worst song of the decade (Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's "Satan Said Dance") to advertise your movie makes people associate your movie with dogshit.

1 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger JetAgeEric said...

I think I agree with every word of this post EXCEPT my hope is that anybody who casts Rockwell AND Kelly in the same movie has some idea as to what he's doing. Also repurposing that crap song to soundtrack a comedy works for me. -E

 

Post a Comment

<< Home