Thursday, August 14, 2008

Two Great Shows

So I was perusing the NYC concert listings in an attempt to figure out what shows I might need to start buying tickets for soon, and I noticed a great show at Mercury Lounge on Sunday, September 28th: David Vandervelde and Throw Me The Statue.

This is the first date I've seen announced for Vandervelde, who will be touring in support of his new album, Waiting for the Sunrise, which is out now on Secretly Canadian. I'm enjoying the album quite a bit, though it's very, very different than David's first disc. Whereas the first album had an undeniably strong Marc Bolan/T. Rex vibe, the new album reminds me quite a bit of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass.

Here's the first track from the album:

David Vandervelde, "I Will Be Fine" (from Waiting for the Sunrise)

No word yet if Vandervelde will be doing any other dates with Throw Me The Statue. If he does end up joining TMTS's Wed., 9/24 show at the Rock and Roll Hotel here in DC, which also features the excellent Tereu Tereu, then that will pretty much wrap up the title as Best DC Show of September.

2 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hear George Harrison, I hear Christopher Cross.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Ouch. I can't say I like the album anywhere near as much as the first one, but it does have its moments. Whether it's enough to make me listen to album much going forward is another question.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home