Friday, August 15, 2008

The Hold Steady @ 9:30 Club, DC [8/14/08]

Standard Hold Steady show. Standard = loud and a lot of fun.

I enjoyed this show a lot more than the band's last trip through town, due in large part to the fact that I got there early enough to get a spot where I could actually see the band this time.

My only complaint? Very little in the way of older tunes - the set was almost entirely Boys and Girls in America and Stay Positive. Although we did manage to goad them into a second encore of "How a Resurrection Really Feels."

As for the openers, The Loved Ones... they wear their ties to Lifetime on their sleeves a bit too much. (Lead singer Dave Hause was in Paint It Black with Lifetime's Dan Yemin.) Unfortunately, the comparison is more of an aspiration than a reality.



2 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there last night, fucking awsome. The double encore came out of nowhere. The energy and excitement were outrageously high. The Hold Steady puts on a first rate show!

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there last night as well... if only for the first 7 songs. Dropped a bottle from the balcony into a trashcan sitting at the empty bar below and found out that the 9:30 spotters aren't as lenient as they once were. SO pissed that I wasn't there for "Resurrection" - fave HS tune.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home