Wednesday, July 16, 2008

To The Nuts!

For a music blog, I sure don't post enough actual music. Sure, I'll post tour info, and album info, and link to the occasional song, but it's been a long time since I regularly posted music from new, up-and-coming bands on this blog.

My plan is to change that. I've been getting a ton of emails from bands and PR-folk lately, and, amazingly, I've been doing a much better job of actually listening to the music I'm being sent. And guess what? A lot of it is pretty good.

So I'm introducing a new series called "To The Nuts!" which will showcase new songs that I like. There's no real guideline as to what types of songs these posts will include, and there won't be any type of official schedule for these posts. (And I definitely can't guarantee that I'll post everything, or even most, of what I'm sent.) But I can promise to try to bring you new music that you probably haven't heard, and hopefully won't hate.

I may play with the format as time goes on, but for right now it will just include songs and a very quick, unscientific RIYL ("recommended if you like") recommendation to help you pick what to spend your time listening to.

And, yes, "To The Nuts!" is an Arrested Development quote. And it's also a fitting post name to debut given the hilarious hijinks going on at my office the coffee shop where I spend a lot of time.

So, without further ado, here's some songs:

Feral Children, "Zyghost" [RIYL: Animal Collective]
High on Stress, "Cash Machine" [RIYL: A.M.-era Wilco, Replacements]
The Great Northwest, "Chief John" [RIYL: Spiritualized]

Feral Children on MySpace
High on Stress on MySpace
The Great Northwest on MySpace

Edited to add: Feral Children shouldn't be confused with Feral Kids, another interesting new band that Joe wrote about last week.

1 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger Dianna said...

Hey Steve, thanks for recommending Feral Children! Anyone who's interested in buying their debut CD should look here: http://tinyurl.com/FC-SttLF-Amazon-Music-Store

 

Post a Comment

<< Home