Friday, July 18, 2008

Throw Me The Statue @ RnR Hotel

I'd normally post this in my weekly DC Show Update, but I'm actually really excited about it.

One of the bands that most impressed me at this year's South By Southwest conference was Seattle's Throw Me The Statue. I actually didn't intend to see them, but caught the second half of their set as I was waiting for The Explorers Club at the indoor stage at the Mohawk. What I saw impressed the hell out of me, and reminded me of the charming, ramshackle Americana of Wilco's early shows (IMO, they lost the ramshackle around the time of Summerteeth, and ditched Americana with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. But I still love 'em.).

Based on that performance, we picked up a copy of the band's debut LP, Moonbeams [order from Secretly Canadian], the next day at Waterloo Records. (Where, coincidentally, we were treated to a set by Half Japanese.)

And we very quickly discovered that the album is very, very different from the band's live show. Instead of the band's fuller live sound, the album is essentially a bedroom-electro-pop affair. It's very good, but very different.

Anyway, I'm happy to finally have another chance to catch the band's live show, to remind me of what excited me so much when I saw them in Austin. The band is playing at the Rock and Roll Hotel here in DC on Wednesday, September 24th (tickets go on sale 7/25).

I strongly recommend that you join me at this show (assuming I'm still in DC then).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home