Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Show You Need To Go To

It's starting to become clear to me how awesome the June 30th show at the Black Cat is going to be.

First up is Takka Takka. I've become a pretty big fan of the band over the last year or so, and am really enjoying what I've heard of their forthcoming album entitled Migration. I've also seen the new lineup play live several times, and they put on a hell of a show.

Second is Frightened Rabbit. WOXY has been playing them for a while now, but I didn't really start to appreciate them until I heard their SXSW Lounge Act. After hearing their set, I immediately downloaded The Midnight Organ Fight from eMusic, and it's been high on my playlist ever since.

Third is Oxford Collapse. This is another WOXY-approved band that for some reason I've either never heard or never really paid attention to. That is, until I heard their song "Amongst Friends" today, which sounds like it could have come out of Chapel Hill in 1993. On the strength of this song, I'm in the process of downloading their new The Hann-Byrd EP from eMusic as I write this.

Pretty great lineup, if you ask me. If you need convincing, here's a song from each of the bands (you can scroll through them in the browser). And here's the link to buy a ticket. It's the best $10 you'll spend this month.

2 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This show sounds good and all but Times New Viking/Titus Andronicus is 10 clams as well and I'm thinking that might be the best $10 (plus $2.50 handling fee) that I spend this month.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Battle Royale!

(Sorry, been watching reruns of the awful-yet-eminently-watchable "Accepted" a lot lately.)

Oh, and since I bought my TNV/TA ticket a few weeks ago, it was technically the best $10 I spent LAST month. :^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home