Sunday, May 04, 2008

Last Week In Photos

I was a bad blogger last week (ed.: only last week?) and failed to post photos or discussion of several shows I went to here in DC.

So while they're still somewhat fresh, I figured I'd rectify things now in abbreviated fashion.

American Music Club @ Iota


First time seeing AMC, and although I don't know a whole lot of their catalog, I really enjoyed their set. And, in addition to the music itself, Mark gave us some... err... colorful explanations of what each song meant. I won't repeat them here because I've tried to wipe many of them from my memory.

Julie Ocean @ DC9


Another Julie Ocean show, another great time. We even got a few new tunes, all of which sounded pretty great. Do yourself a favor and jump on the bandwagon now -- the band's excellent debut LP, Long Gone and Nearly There, finally comes out on May 29th. There's still time for you to tell all your friends that you knew them before the album came out. (Pre-order the album here for $10.)

Oh, and if you're in Philly, be sure to catch the boys at World Cafe Live this Friday, May 9th.

The Redwalls @ DC9


Until recently, I'd always lumped the Redwalls in with a bunch of other pretty-boy, Strokes wanna-be bands. Then some friends caught their set during SXSW and had good things to say about them. So I figured I'd check them out. Not bad. Nothing earth-shattering, but they had a few really good songs, and boy are they stylish.

Crowded House @ 9:30 Club



I've been a fan of Crowded House for as long as I can remember, but this was my first time seeing them. Just a fantastic set. They played for just over two hours, and mixed old and brand new songs (which all sounded pretty good). And while I don't normally like crowd participation, I was impressed just how knowledgeable the crowd was of the songs, and how effective the interplay between the band and crowd was at times. Who knew that DC crowds could sing that well?

The Kids in the Hall @ Warner Theatre
No photos allowed, so I kept the camera in my pocket for the show. That was probably a good thing, because I was too busy laughing my ass off to take pictures. The majority of the material in the show was brand new, although some old characters (the Kathys, Buddy Cole, Gavin the annoying kid, the Headcrusher) made appearances. If you have a chance to catch the show in the next few weeks, I implore you to go. And keep your fingers crossed that this isn't the last we see of them.

2 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Cabbage Head?

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Nope, though I did forget to mention that there was a Chicken Lady sketch. Mmmm, Chicken Lady.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home