Sunday, April 13, 2008

Monotonix et al @ The Red and The Black, DC [4/12/08]

I gotta say, I had no idea what I was getting into with last night's Monotonix show. David tried to warn us before the band went on, even going so far as to tell me that where I was standing - directly at the back of the room by the bar - was "in the line of fire". But I still didn't really understand what was about to happen.

What happened was pure anarchy. Shirtless bandmembers, beer being flung from all ends of the room (even the bartenders got involved), lots of fire (flaming drumsticks, lighter fluid on the floor), beer being poured down the lead singer's pants, the lead singer dancing and writhing on top of the bar, the entire band relocating from one end of the room to the other mid-set, the lead singer asking a woman in the audience to caress his chest, and a drummer who looks like the living embodiment of Borat.

And I'm still leaving stuff out.

Frankly, I have no idea what they were singing about (they're Israeli), and I have very little recollection of the music (lots of riffs), but it was a hell of a time.

Monotonix




Dark Meat also brought their own spectacle, but even considering that they had 15 people playing on stage (and in the crowd) at once, including constant confetti and streamers flying around the room, at the end of the day it paled in comparison to Monotonix.

I remember even less of Dark Meat's music than Montonix's, but I think it had less to do with the spectacle than with the music itself.

Dark Meat



The Jet Age opened the show and were, unsurprisingly, awesome as always. Eric was sporting a brand new, custom-built amp which was beautiful, even if my ears couldn't really hear too much of a difference from the last time I saw them. The highlight of the night for me was probably seeing them play the awesome "Please Come Home Now" from their first album. Good stuff.

The Jet Age


Oh, I'm kinda leaving out CPC, who played second on the night. I didn't take any pictures, and kinda spaced out a bit during their set, so no review...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home