Monday, March 17, 2008

Throw Me The Statue

As I mentioned earlier, one of my favorite "finds" of SXSW was Throw Me The Statue. I caught about half of their set at the Mohawk while waiting for The Explorers Club, and was extremely impressed by the band's songs and live show.

What I didn't realize until my friend Matt picked up their disc at Waterloo Records on Saturday is that the band is, on record at least, just one man - Scott Reitherman. I was a bit thrown as we started listening to the disc and, instead of hearing the full band from the show, heard what was essentially a bedroom recording with vocals, guitar and a Casio keyboard.

I've since gotten over my surprise and, after downloading the band's album from eMusic and giving it a few listens, am well on my way to becoming a very big fan. The band has drawn favorable comparisons to Guided By Voices (with both Pollard-like and Sprout-like songs), and that's always gonna grab my attention.

Here's a song from the band's debut LP on Secretly Canadian. His/their debut LP, Moonbeams, just came out a few weeks ago and you can order it here.

Throw Me The Statue, "About to Walk"

They're also going out on tour for the next month or so (full dates here), but no D.C. date sadly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home