Monday, March 17, 2008

SXSW - Day 4

I hate to admit it, but I'm getting old. By the time that Day 4 (Saturday) rolled around, I was just about done. My feet ached, including a blister on one of my toes that had me limping as I walked, and five hours of sleep per night wasn't really getting the job done, especially with the "Sleep Number" beds that the Radisson gave us. Note to self -- do not buy a "Sleep Number" bed.

Anyway, neither I nor my friends ended up being particularly motivated to run around from show to show all day. So after a fantastic BBQ lunch at the Salt Lick, we pretty much just went with the flow. Although I still ended up seeing seven acts on Saturday, two were actually accidental -- we happened to be CD shopping at Waterloo Records when Half Japanese were playing, and we happened to be having dinner at Maria's Tacos when Alejandro Escovedo showed up for a set (yep, every single restaurant or bar in Austin seems to have a stage in it somewhere).

My favorite sets of the day were The Dexateens, who I'd never seen before but now am looking forward to seeing open for the Drive-By Truckers at the 9:30 Club, The Teenage Prayers, who I like much better live than I ever have when I've heard them on WOXY.com, and Anders Parker, who put on a haunting set in the awesome Saint David's Church (sadly, we missed M. Ward and Jim James in the same room). Georgie James were also very good, but as I told a friend, I'm looking forward to finally getting to see them with a full band.

As for Half Japanese... well... at least now I can say I've seen them. And that's all I'll say about that.

Lunch at the Salt Lick


Magic Christian @ Dog and Duck Club


The Dexateens @ Sidebar


Half Japanese @ Waterloo Records


Alejandro Escovedo @ Maria's Tacos


The Teenage Prayers @ Lambert's


Liam Finn @ Bat Bar


Georgie James @ Dirty Dog


Anders Parker @ Saint David's Episcopal Church

2 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the Salt Lick a few years back. That picture brought by artery clogging memories.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Mmmm, clogged arteries...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home