Monday, March 17, 2008

SXSW - Day 3

If Day 2 was my favorite day of the week, Day 3 (Friday) was a close second. I got to see several bands for the first time that I'd been wanting to see, including The Night Marchers, Future Clouds and Radar and Earlimart, all of whom were excellent. I also had the chance to get introduced to Fucked Up, who were better than I expected and whose frontman was hilarious (the best part was when he walked off stage mid-song, got a plate of barbeque, and came back on stage eating food between lyrics). In addition, I saw a great set from one of my favorite bands, The Whigs.

The worst show of the day, sadly, was Lucero, who I normally love. I missed the first couple of songs so I think I missed a full explanation, but from what I gathered from stage banter it seems like Ben had something wrong with his hand and couldn't play guitar well. This translated into a bunch of sloppy songs and a lot of lengthy meandering breaks between songs where the band would talk amongst themselves and then chat with the crowd about what song to play butcher next. I'm a huge fan of the band, so to say I was disappointed is an understatement.

Full set of pics from Day 3 are here.

Care Bears on Fire @ SESAC Day Stage


The Weakerthans @ Volume


Jay Reatard @ Emo's


Fucked Up @ Vice Saves Texas Party


The Night Marchers @ Vice Saves Texas Party


The Whigs @ Volume


Portastatic @ The Parish


Future Clouds and Radar @ Momo's


Takka Takka @ Friends


Earlimart @ Buffalo Billiards


Headlights @ Habana Calle 6 Patio


Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin @ Habana Calle 6


Lucero @ Red Eyed Fly


Akron/Family @ Red River Street


The Supersuckers @ Emo's Annex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home