Wednesday, February 06, 2008

More Political Numbers

[We deviate from our normal indie rock and pop culture schedule for a little politics. And, yes, I'm currently skipping Vampire Weekend at the Rock and Roll Hotel. Just not in the mood.]

I just did this math for myself since none of the major news organizations seem interested in doing it. While they've totaled up the popular vote for Super Tuesday, they haven't added up the entire popular vote throughout the primary season to date.

Leaving out Iowa and Nevada, which were caucuses and don't report real numbers, the popular vote looks like this (according to CNN.com info):

Clinton: 7,601,350
Obama: 7,694,714

Note, though, that this doesn't include Michigan or Florida, whose delegates aren't as of now being seated by the DNC and where neither Clinton nor Obama really spent much time campaigning (though Clinton clearly made both states a higher priority than Obama, for various reasons). Indeed, Obama wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan. If you do take those two states into account, the numbers look like this:

Clinton: 8,786,709
Obama: 8,263,755

What does any of this mean? No idea. I'll leave analysis to the real analysts. I've just been obsessed with the numbers lately, and this was one that I just couldn't find anywhere else.

And, yes, I'm supporting Obama, if my earlier posts haven't made that clear already.

4 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vampire Weekend was great. I'm being completely serious. Those guys can really play. And, apparently, they went to Columbia.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I'm glad you liked them. I'll definitely have to catch them at SXSW next month. I definitely made the right decision not going last night, though -- I needed the sleep after being woken up by a 4:30am, hour-long fire alarm in my apartment building the night before.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Steve said...

PS: Their bio would be much more interesting if they'd gone to Barnard.

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. But that might annoy me even more. I went to law school with a Barnard alum. It was amazing how many times she could work, "I went to Barnard, it's an all women's college that's part of the Ivy League" into a conversation (or worse, response to a professor's question). Had she not been one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, I might have pointed out that Barnard has its own admissions department and is easier to get into than Columbia. I've always thought, "How Many Times Do We Have To Tell You? Barnard Is NOT In The Ivy League" would make a great album title. Especially for one of these new preppy revival bands like Vampire Weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home