Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Year in Books

I know I still need to post my Top 5 albums of the year... the list itself is done, but I haven't had a chance to finish the post yet. It should come on Monday.

Until then, I figured now was as good as any to do a quick book post. There are a few of you out there that I've spoken to on occasion about books. While 2007 wasn't as heavy of a reading year for me as usual, by and large I did a pretty good job of finding books that I liked. In fact, I don't think there was a single book that I read that I disliked this year. That makes me pretty happy - there are fews things I hate more than a bad book that I waste weeks (or sometimes months) on.

So, without further ado, the books I read in 2007, in order of how much I liked them.

1. The Fortress of Solitude, Jonathan Lethem
2. Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami
3. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Haruki Murakami
4. Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
5. After Dark, Haruki Murakami
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling
7. The Broom of the System, David Foster Wallace
8. The Night Gardener, George Pelecanos
9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling
10. East, West, Salman Rushdie

One note -- I had never read Murakami before The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and I enjoyed that book so much that I ended up reading it, Kafka on the Shore and After Dark in just over a two month period. I'm tempted to keep reading more of his, but I'm also worried about running out of his books to read. So I'm taking a short Murakami break.

I actually just started Cormac McCarthy's The Road yesterday, so I very well may finish that before the end of the year too (there's only so much I can do in Ohio over the holidays), so I'll have to wait and see where it fits on this list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home