Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Best of 2007 (6-10)

(My apologies if it looks like I'm moving things around. I forgot to make a couple of last minute changes before I put this post up. Shows just how malleable these lists are, I guess.)

10. Okkervil River, The Stage Names
I didn't really connect with The Stage Names until I caught the band live at the Rock and Roll Hotel a couple of months ago. It still doesn't reach the levels of the band's earlier work for me (my favorite of their albums is still Down The River of Golden Dreams), but it's clearly the album that "grew on" me the most this year. And you gotta love an album that seamlessly incorporates "Sloop John B" into a song.

9. Parts and Labor, Mapmaker
Easily the most brutal and pummeling (in a good way) album I heard this year. There are few albums that can reach of point of pure ferocity but still remain tuneful, but this album manages it in spades. Quite possibly the best driving album of the year (as long as you're not driving in speed-trap crazy Virginia). Sadly, the band's longtime drummer recently left the band, and his drumwork is absolutely vital to the sound of this album, so I'm curious how the band will sound going forward.

8. Rogue Wave, Asleep at Heaven's Gate
I'm not sure why some people have come down so hard on this album (other than the fact that they're on Jack Johnson's label now). To me, this is the logical extension of Descended Like Vultures, which began the process of taking the band's quirky, catchy songs and turning them into more complicated, powerful compositions. For the first time, the band produced an album that really connects (with me at least) on an emotional level. But for a couple of clunkers toward the end of the album, this album could have been a serious contender for my #1.

7. Dead Confederate, Dead Confederate EP
I went from not knowing these guys at all to having them at #7 on my list in the space of about two weeks. Their live show with Dinosaur Jr. last month absolutely blew me away, and I haven't stopped listening to their EP since. I don't really agree with the numerous Cobain references they're getting, but there's no question that there's a healthy grunge influence in the band's music. I'd call it a mix of shoegaze and grunge (shoegrunge? grungegaze?). Whatever you call it, it absolutely kicks ass.

6. The Broken West, I Can't Go On, I'll Go On
A wonderful debut from one the most promising young bands in America. In my mind, this album picks up where Wilco left off after A.M. -- an upbeat mixture of pop, rock and country influences and a serious focus on songcraft. From start to finish the album is just one great song after another. And, from what I've heard of the new songs the band is playing live, there's a good bet that album #2 will be even better.


SeeqPod Music beta - Playable Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home