Thursday, December 06, 2007

My Best of 2007 (21-25)

I usually wait until the very end of the year (or after) to do my "Best Of", but between the activities surrounding the launch of my business' website, a trip home for the holidays, and then a trip to Ireland to see The Frames for New Years, I figured now is as good a time as any.

So, without further ado, here's the first installment of my Best of 2007 list. I'm also including a Seeqpod widget at the bottom of the post so that you can sample some songs from each of the artists. My thanks to the sites that originally posted the songs (each of which you should be able to see in the widget).

Oh, and one last note -- this list is, pure and simple, my subjective opinion as to my favorite albums of the year. I'm sure there are a bunch of great albums that didn't make my list, but to the extent there are, I either didn't hear them or didn't like 'em enough.

25. Shout Out Louds, Our Ill Wills
This one is a very late entrant onto my list. I've had it on my hard drive for months, but literally just started listening to it in the last week or so. You were right, Matt -- these guys owe The Cure some major royalty checks. But in a good way.

24. Bottomless Pit, Hammer of the Gods
Had this album had more than four new songs on it, I guarantee it would have been much higher on my list. But since I put already put their EP from last year (which had 4 of the 8 songs on this album on it) on my Best of 2006 list, I just couldn't bring myself to put it much higher. Still, though, the disc has some killer songs, and is well worth your time.

23. Thurston Moore, Trees Outside the Academy
I didn't expect this album to be anywhere near as good as it is. After three Sonic Youth albums in a row of semi-accessible, catchy songs, I expected this to be a Ghosts & Flowers-like experimental snoozefest. It's anything but, and may be my favorite music from Thurston in a decade.

22. Mendoza Line, 30 Year Low
This is another album that probably would have been higher if it had more songs on it (not counting the second disc of B-sides and rarities). Many of the songs ooze pain, anger and resignation -- all things you would expect from a band whose two songwriters were going through a divorce at the time -- and almost make you feel like you're intruding on the band's personal lives. My only real complaint? They should have included the original version of "Aspect of an Old Maid" with Tim Bracy on vocals on the album. The Will Sheff version on the album is good, but not nearly as raw.

21. Wheat, Every Day I Said a Prayer For Kathy...
Did anyone else listen to this album? The band played a grand total of about 6 shows in support of its first new LP since 2003, and sadly got just about as much blog attention. Personally, I think the first half of the album may be the best thing they've ever done (though the second half does get a tad boring at times). I can only hope they don't disappear for another four years before we get another album.


SeeqPod Music beta - Playable Search

1 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger JetAgeEric said...

Agree, wish BP had more songs on it; they've got TWO songwriters!

Mendoza Liner Tim B is a DC man (well, McLean).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home