Monday, November 12, 2007

FX Gets It Right

Just saw over at the LA Times that FX drama Damages has been renewed for two more seasons of thirteen episodes.

Wow. The show got pretty awful ratings, and there was a lot of speculation that it wouldn't even be back for a second season, let alone a third.

I'm glad to see FX continuing to stick to its guns (a la It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia). If you didn't see it, Damages was one of the best written, thrilling shows I've seen on TV in years. Think 24 before it started to suck, and without all of the cheap plot devices (i.e., Kim got kidnapped!, Kim's babysitting for a murderer!, Kim's gonna make out with a mountain lion!, etc.). Well... Damages isn't completely without the iffy plot devices, but it keeps them to a minimum.

And, as a former attorney in a large New York firm, I gotta say - Glenn Close's portrayal really hit home and reminded me of one or more partners that I had the distinct pleasure of working for over the years. And that's all I'll say about that.

Oh, and speaking of Sunny, don't miss the season finale this Thursday. Yep, it's over already. :^(

2 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger Battering Room said...

Going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I tried to get into Damages and watched maybe the first 5 or 6 episodes. But then I couldn't bear it any longer. So many bad cliches. So much horrible acting. Yuck.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Steve said...

You should watch the whole season.

I'll admit that the lead actress, Rose Byrne, was pretty awful. So was the girl that played the sister in law.

But Glenn Close was excellent, as was the underappreciated Zeljko Ivanek (of Homicide fame), and especially Ted Danson, who may have given the best performance of his life, IMO.

As for the cliches... well, I think the series redeemed itself by the fact that the season didn't end in any of the easy ways it could have. It held me in legitimate suspense up until the very end, and didn't take the "easy" out on anything.

If you've watched 5-6 episodes, suck it up and find a way to watch the rest. I think you'll be glad you did.

And if not, well, you're just wrong. :^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home