Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Spoon @ 9:30 Club, Washington, D.C. [10/23/07]

So it finally happened... the much talked-about, and certainly much blogged-about Spoon D.C. show.

And it was excellent. The band sounded great and seemed in good spirits. While we were promised only an hour and fifteen minutes of music (7:45-9), the band actually played for about an hour and thirty-five minutes (8:05-9:40), including two encores. And surprisingly, the highlight of the show was "My Mathematical Mind", a song that I have always liked but not loved. The band tore into it tonight, though (especially the end of the song), and I doubt that I'll ever listen to the song the same way again.

Huge props to the band for finding a way to play this show. I know I (and others) had plenty to say about the situation when the band's 9:30 Club shows were first canceled, but the fact is that the band found a way to try to make good. And make good they did. Thanks, fellas.

Some pics (full set):





Three other quick notes. First, the show was broadcast by NPR, and you should be able to stream and/or download it here soon.

Second, the openers, The Ponys... I'd seen them at least once before (as SXSW this year), and I knew they were loud, but I had NO IDEA just how loud they'd be tonight. I'm not joking when I say that it seemed like the guitarist was trying to hurt people in the audience. I've seen thousands of bands over the years, and I have never, ever in my life seen a band so needlessly turn up the amps. It almost made me leave, that's how bad it was. And it has certainly convinced me to avoid seeing them ever again. I like (but don't love) their music, but seeing the band live just isn't worth having my ears assaulted like that. Wholly and completely unnecessary.

Third, I was supposed to catch Division Day at DC9 after Spoon, but when I got there at 9:45 the opener still hadn't gone on and no one could tell me for sure when the bands would start. So, in an effort to save my ears from further damage tonight, I decided to call it a night. Next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home