Thursday, September 06, 2007

The National @ 9:30 Club, Washington, DC [9/5/07]

One word, kids... wow. That's about all I can say about tonight's National show at the 9:30 Club. This was the 4th (maybe 5th) time I've seen them this year, and they haven't once disappointed. You can ask me again after I see Wilco next month, but it's a hard call for me right now to figure out who the best live American band is right now. Right now, I'm strongly leaning toward The National.

We also got good sets from The Rosebuds (how haven't they broken out yet?) and, surprisingly, Doveman. I say surprisingly because, as talented as I know he is, every time I've seen him before he's bored me to tears. Especially that opening set he did for the Frames at Town Hall earlier this year. But tonight was much better, in large part because he was backed by 60% of the National (Aaron, Bryce and Bryan).

Some pics:




3 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone get a setlist?

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got one from the stage:

start a war
mistaken for strangers
secret meeting
brainy baby
slow show
green gloves
abel
squalor victoria
racing like a pro
wasp nest
all the wine
apartment story
daughters
fake empire
mr. november

lucky you
about today

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there last night - They're just powerful and truly, truly fantastic musicians. I'm amazed that can play with that much energy each night. I lean towards the dramatic, but that was close to a religious experience for me. Thanks for the blog about it. It's nice to relate this with someone else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home