Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Hoodoo Gurus @ Black Cat, Washington, D.C. [9/4/07]

Great show at the Black Cat last night. As promised, I made it there early to catch both openers, Julie Ocean and The Fake Accents, and I was richly rewarded for doing so. Both bands put on great sets and have me excited about seeing them again. My only real complaint was the sound, which was kinda muddy for much of Julie Ocean's set. Still, though, the bands were tight and the songs were great.

I was a little hesitant to be the only person taking pictures with a flash, so most of my pictures of the two openers came out pretty bad. Here's one kinda decent shot of The Fake Accents.



I missed a chunk of the Hoodoo Gurus' set while talking to the Julie Ocean guys (and the Fake Accents' bassist) after their sets. The guys were all very cool and a pleasure to meet. By the time I made it back upstairs, I managed to catch about 20 minutes from the Hoodoos, who were as good as I remembered them from SXSW. It's great to see a band that's been around as long as they have still having a ton of fun on stage and sounding as tight (and loud) as ever.




Be sure to catch all three bands if you have a chance. The Hoodoos are playing tonight in New York, and then in Philly, Boston and Hoboken over the next few days. Julie Ocean have two shows coming up, first in Philly playing with the WOXY-approved Oliver Future at the North Star Bar on 9/14, and then opening for the Apples In Stereo at the 9:30 Club on 9/19. The Fake Accents... well, I don't see any dates for them right now. But I'll let you know when new dates pop up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home