Wednesday, August 29, 2007

RIP Richard Jewell

While I don't often stray from music and pop culture on this blog, every once in a while I see something that I feel is important to highlight.

I just saw that Richard Jewell died today of complications from diabetes and kidney failure. If you'll remember back to 1996, Jewell was the security guard who was originally heralded as a hero for saving people when a bomb went off at the Atlanta Olympics, and was then incorrectly accused of actually masterminding the attack. Although the government finally admitted that it was wrong, and that Jewell was not responsible for the attack (Eric Rudolph was later convicted of the crime), you can't help but believe that the situation forever besmirched Jewell's name and affected his life. Simply put, the man was royally screwed.

Anyway, I just thought it was right to take a minute and pay my respects. The man deserved a lot more than he got. Rest in peace, Richard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home