Sunday, August 26, 2007

Papercuts @ Rock and Roll Hotel [8/26/07]

Caught Papercuts at the Rock and Roll Hotel tonight. I like but don't love their recent album, Can't Go Back. It has some great moments (see "Dear Employee" below) but the rest of the songs seem to blend together to me. However, since I haven't seen many shows this month, and because my friend Matt is a big fan of the band, I figured I'd check them out while they're in town.

What I would say is this - when they're playing as a 3-piece (guitar, bass, drums), they're an okay live act, but when they add a fourth person to play organ as well, as they did towards the end of the set, they sound pretty damn good. My advice? Add a permanent fourth touring member.

We skipped Beach House, who were the actual headliners of the show. I've heard a couple of songs from the band and they didn't do much for me. Plus, I gotta admit, I was nervous as hell having my car parked on the street near Rock and Roll Hotel. For lack of a better term, it's a sketchy, sketchy neighborhood, and I'm very protective of the first car that I've had after more than 11 years in New York. So we headed out after Papercuts. We did manage to see a couple songs from the opener Tiny Vipers, and that's about all that needs to be said about that.




Quantcast
SeeqPod Music beta - Playable Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home