Friday, July 06, 2007

Oh Widget, Where Art Thou?

(This post also appeared, in slightly altered form, here.)

As I'm sure you know, the Internet has gone widget-crazy over the last year or two. It seems like everyone and their grandmother has their own widget these days, which is why it seems so weird that I can't seem to find a widget for what I want to do with this blog (and my other blog).

Specifically, I want a widget that I can drop in my blog sidebar that will display 5 to 10 (or more) of my favorite news or blog posts of the day. I want the widget to be dynamic, so that if I'm on a blog, oh, say The Modern Age, and I really like some article Laura has about The White Stripes (a band she rarely blogs about, I know), I just click a button and automatically that article (or at least the headline) is displayed in the widget back on my blog. Readers of my blog could then easily click through to the original article.

I'd use this in a second over Digg, Delicious or the like. I used to do a lot of posts on my other blog that were essentially "roundups" of interesting articles I'd found around the web, but I stopped doing it because it required me to keep a continuous log going of the articles (and URLs) as I found them until I had enough to amount to a post. If I only found one or two interesting articles in a day, often times I'd forget about them and never post them. A widget like the one I'm talking about would solve this problem.

So, anybody know where I can find myself this type of widget?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home