Friday, June 15, 2007

Wilco @ Aronoff Center, Cincinnati, OH [6/14/07]

Wilco fans, rest easy. If you're like me, you may have started to wonder over the past couple of years if the band had gotten stuck in a bit of a groove. While always technically excellent, it seemed like the band had been playing the same set of songs since about 2001, and several of the band's shows seemed a bit subdued and, dare I say, boring? (I'm looking at you, Starlight Ballroom.)

If tonight's show is any indication, however, there's no need to worry. While a few of the setlist "standards" continue to make appearances whether we want to hear them or not - "A Shot In The Arm", "I'm the Man Who Loves You", "Heavy Metal Drummer" - the rest of the setlist is new, improved and ready to kick some ass.  

Tonight's setlist, to the best of my recollection (and in no particular order): "Either Way", "Impossible Germany", "Sky Blue Sky", "Side With the Seeds", "Shake It Off", "Hate It Here", "Walken", "What Light", "Via Chicago", "War On War", "Jesus, Etc.", "Pot Kettle Black", "Poor Places", "Hummingbird" and "Handshake Drugs" (songs I haven't seen them do in a long, long time are in bold). Oh, and they also played what might have been the single best version of "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" that I've ever seen. Just amazing.

Jeff was also in good spirits, and funnier than he's been at the shows I've seen them do recently. All in all, a fantastic show. Can't wait to see them in New Jersey next week, and maybe at either Hammerstein or Warsaw.





Edited to add: Nels rules.

4 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jealous that you've already seen this tour, but can't wait for Red Bank....

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger chad said...

This was a great show. I found you through flickr. I agree with everything...especially the wonderful spiders we got last night.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Steve said...

That first couple of minutes of "Spiders" had some fantastic, geeky kraut-rock moments that go beyond anything I've seen them do before. Never thought I'd like kraut-rock, but it was great.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. We were in row D of the "loge" section of the Aronoff and they were great seats, had no one around us annoying. I was with a friend who seemed concerned on how the show would turn out after getting his first listens of the mellow Sky Blue Sky not long before. The SBS songs were excellent live, perticularly Shake It Off as an opener Hate It Here in the encore. The classics were excellent as well, and you can't forget Jeff trying to act smart and the total Spinal Tap moment with the owl. Great time indeed.

- Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home