Monday, June 04, 2007

Wheat @ Mercury Lounge, NYC [6/3/07]

Wow. Seriously, wow.

I almost didn't go see Wheat tonight. There were a ton of reasons to stay home - it's a Sunday night, the weather is lousy, they weren't scheduled to go on until 10pm (which at Mercury tends to mean no earlier than 10:30pm), there were new episodes of The Sopranos and Entourage, and, well, I don't have particularly fond memories of their show in the same room from a few years ago.

Yet for some reason I decided to go anyway. Maybe I feel a little guilty about all the bad things I've said about their last album, Per Second, Per Second, Per Second, Every Second. Dunno.

Regardless, I can't really explain how happy I am that I went. The band's performance tonight was incredible, and may be the best set of live music I've seen all year. I don't say things like this lightly. I see a lot of shows, and I was seriously blown away tonight. And although I like the band's new album, Every Day I Made A Prayer for Kathy and Made A One Inch Square [BUY], a lot, I really didn't expect much out of their show. I was wrong, and I'm glad. See this band now.




Upcoming Wheat Dates

Tues., 6/5: Club 87, Middlefield, OH
Wed., 6/6: Empty Bottle, Chicago, IL
Thurs., 6/7: 7th Street Entry, Minneapolis, MN
Fri., 6/8/07: The Bears, Bloomington, IN
Sun., 6/10/07: North Star Bar, Philadelphia, PA
Fri., 6/22/07: Middle East, Cambridge, MA

1 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear this!
I always lamented never seeing Wheat live and then, when they got back together, I was thrilled to get to go see them in Philly. Unfortunately they sounded terrible and I was truly disappointed. But now I know I can just chalk it up to the fact that maybe they were a bit rusty (I think it was only their second gig since reforming) and the venue's crappy sound system.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home