Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Ryan Adams @ Hiro Ballroom, NYC [6/26/07]

The good about tonight's Ryan Adams show? Ryan's voice was excellent. Probably the best vocal performance from him I've seen in a while. The rest of the band was solid too. My favorite performances tonight, far and away, were "Let It Ride," "My Winding Wheel," "I See Monsters" (surprisingly good) and the spectacular encore of Alice In Chains' "Down In A Hole." (Seriously.)

The bad? Boooooooooring. To call tonight's set-list "mid-tempo" would be a disservice to R.E.O. Speedwagon. I don't have a full setlist, but what I recall are "Night Birds" and "Starlite Diner" from 29, "Dear John" from Jacksonville City Nights (thankfully no Norah Jones), "Blue Hotel" (from last year's Willie Nelson disc), "Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.," "Rip Off," "I Taught Myself How To Grow Old," "Two" (thankfully no Sheryl Crow), "Halloweenhead" and "Goodnight Rose" (from the new Easy Tiger). Even "Halloweenhead," which is a damn fine rock song on the album, was slowed down. Had I been sitting, there's no question in my mind that I would have fallen asleep. The show actually reminded me of what I think was Ryan's final show at Fez back in 2001 or so, when he played from 12:45am to 3am -- slow, slow, slow, and I fell asleep.

Whatever. This is still the guy who almost singlehandedly (well, Elton John helped) woke me out of my post-9/11 stupor with an incredible show at Irving Plaza five years ago. I know he's got more shows like that in him, and I'll keep going until I see it.

Oh, and we learned tonight that Ryan doesn't have to be drunk/stoned/speed-balled to speak complete nonsense between songs. All it takes is 15 Diet Cokes, apparently.

Pics tonight stink. Lighting was very low. Ryan was going for the "torch singer" vibe.





You can hear Ryan's set from Philadelphia the other day here.

5 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like that Paris show I downloaded was not a one-off, but a blueprint for this tour. Glad I didn't spend $120 on a ticket for the Philly show Thursday.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Amazingly, other folks around the net seemed to love this show. Dunno.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so so jealous

 
At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

went to philly show. nice but what arrogance? no encore. not a hint of encore. no reason, no excuses no appologies. i'm thinking prima donna. sad really as they are so talented and it was a great show. can someone explain?

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with your comment above. But, Hell, you have to figure that we are blessed to to be a part of his talent that he chooses to share. Everybody has their moods. My eperience in Austin. was the same. I love this man's talent. So, really, he can do no wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home