Thursday, June 07, 2007

Dinosaur Jr. @ Irving Plaza, NYC [6/7/07]

Last night was the third time I've seen Dinosaur Jr. since the original lineup reunited two years ago. While I don't think I could ever be disappointed by a Dinosaur Jr. show, last night's show was definitely my least favorite of the three (Summerstage 2005 and Irving Plaza in Dec. 2005).

The show started out pretty sloppy, both in terms of the band's playing and the sound mix. They opened with the excellent "Almost Ready" from their new album, Beyond, and I can honestly say that it was awful. Thankfully, things picked up pretty quickly though.

The setlist focused primarily on Beyond and a handful of the "classic lineup" songs, though I was downright giddy when I heard Jay start playing the opening notes to "Out There" from Where You Been. That's the album that first turned me onto Dinosaur Jr. in high school, and is still one of my favorite discs of all time. I'd have killed to hear "Start Choppin'" too, but instead we got an interesting (if unnecessary) version of "Feel The Pain". Gotta say - I'm really surprised that they're playing that one. While Murph was at least on Where You Been, Jay had fired him by the time of Without a Sound, and I can't imagine any of them have particularly fond memories of the song (which may have been the band's biggest "hit") other than Jay.

For those going tonight, they went on around 10:15 and played a 1-hour set, and then came back out for a 15-minute encore. We were out on the sidewalk out front by 11:34.

Some pretty bad pics from further back in the crowd than I usually like to be:


5 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger JK said...

appreciate the set times, thank you. this will be my first time seeing them tonight so it looks like i may go in with the bar set a bit lower. kind of surprised they played so many Beyond songs (which is a great album, by the way).

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Definitely loving Beyond... if you haven't seen a Dinosaur Jr. show, be warned -- it's about as loud of a show as I've ever seen. If your ears are at all sensitive, take some ear plugs. My ears are still ringing.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger JK said...

ha, yeah, i can definitely see that. thanks for the warning man.

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, my brother and I were also psyched when we heard the opening riff to "Out There." He, too, wondered, "Could this mean they might play 'Start Choppin'?".
Although sloppy and poorly mixed, the song selection made this show one of my fave Dinosaur Jr shows.
(I've seen Dinosaur Jr 5 times, and the Fog 3 times).

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger nyctaper said...

I've posted my recording of this concert at my taper's blog. Click my username.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home