Thursday, March 15, 2007

Checking In From SXSW

Holy crap am I tired, so I'll keep this short. I'll keep it even shorter because I forgot my camera in my hotel room. Oh well.

8pm: I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In The House @ Room 710 - Think Lucero and Steve Earle but a harder edge and songs that aren't quite as good. Good set, though. Especially the song "Fuck Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church." Awesome.

9pm: Emma Pollock @ Emo's - First time I've seen Emma perform. Never caught The Delgados before they broke up, though I did have tickets to see them in Tokyo when I lived there, but had to cancel due to work. And the fact that shows start at 7pm in Tokyo for some reason. Emma and band were ok tonight, not great, but the songs all seem to be up to the quality of what I'd expect from the Delgados. Her album comes out this summer, and it should be pretty good.

10pm: Grand Champeen @ Room 710 - Recently discovered these guys. Very Replacements-esque, Figgs-ish, bar band, blah blah blah. Simply put, they pretty much kick ass. Plan on seeing them again this week.

11pm: Rosebuds @ Antone's - I really wanted to like the new material. I did. But a combination of awful, awful acoustics and what felt like forced enthusiasm from the band pretty much killed it for me. They have added a second guitarist, a bassist, and Mac McCaughan's brother on drums, so they have that going for them. And Kelly's still pretty hot.

12am: The Broken West @ Antone's - The sound still sucked at Antone's, but holy hell were The Broken West good. They've been touring a lot, and it shows. They seem to have gotten a new keyboardist since CMJ, and I didn't recognize the drummer either, but maybe he just grew a beard in the interim. I wish they'd play more songs off the old EP.

1am: I crapped out and skipped Spoon. I suck. Had the acoustics at Antone's not been so bad, I would have made an effort to stay. But between being tired and not being able to really hear what was going on on stage (at least not the way I wanted to), I called it a night. They'll be in New York soon enough.

Now to sleep. Promise better updates and photos tomorrow. Bye now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home