Monday, February 19, 2007

Song of the Week

I've never been a huge fan of Modest Mouse. While the band has had a number of songs that I've liked -- and I even think The Moon and Antarctica was on whole a pretty damn good record -- I've simply never been able to really get into them. Maybe it's that the whole indie/cow-punk thing gets old to me after a couple of songs. Maybe it's that the Modest Mouse show at Irving Plaza in 2000 is still the only time I've ever seen a frat-boy fight at an indie rock show. Maybe I just think that Built to Spill does Built to Spill a lot better than Modest Mouse does.

Whatever the explanation, I'm not surprised to find that the band's new We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank doesn't do a whole lot for me. It's not awful, but nor is it going to make my year-end Best Of list. That said, much like their previous albums, the disc does include a few standout tracks. My favorite of the bunch, "Missed the Boat", is also the best song I've heard in the last couple of weeks. Check it out:

Modest Mouse, "Missed the Boat"

Unfortunately, the band chose to release the annoying "Dashboard" as its lead single. I won't subject you to it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home