Saturday, February 17, 2007

Post-Suck Wheat

So I mentioned a few months ago that Wheat was releasing a 5-song mini LP entitled That's Exactly What I Wanted... Exactly That. The mini LP -- can we just call it an EP? -- was to be released this past December. Well, there were a few delays with the disc's pressing or something or other, and I didn't end up getting my copy until just a few weeks ago.

Thankfully, it was worth the wait. While not as consistent as the band's first two albums, the EP shows the band returning to it's roots as a quirky, relaxed, slightly off-tune band making challenging yet pretty music. And not a single song on the EP would fit on the Win a Date With Tad Hamilton soundtrack, so it's got that going for it too.

Wheat, "Little White Dove" (from the EP)

Listening to the new EP, I think I feel comfortable saying that we've officially entered Wheat's Post-Suck period. Then again, maybe I should wait a couple more months before making any official pronouncements, given that the band's new full-length LP, Everyday I Said A Prayer for Kathy and Made a One Inch Square, comes out on May 7th on Empyrean Records. (That date's a push-back from the original March 6th date.) However, given the pretentiousness of the album title, I'm guessing this album ain't produced by the Neptunes. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

And speaking of seeing, the band has announced its first live dates in 3 years. Nothing in New York yet...

March 31: TT The Bears (Boston)
April 27: Northstar Bar (Philadelphia)

Oh, and check out this video of "Don't I Hold You" from Hope and Adams. I never saw it when it was released. I think that's a good thing -- it's pretty dumb. If I wanted to watch people make out, I'd stand next to Drew Barrymore at an indie rock show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home