Thursday, November 09, 2006

Wheat Returns

It's been three years since Boston's Wheat released their last album, the disappointing (and at times soul-destroying) Per Second, Per Second, Per Second... Every Second. And even though the band had a decent amount of success with a couple of songs off of that album, they seemed to go into a sort of self-imposed exile after ending their 2004 tour with The Neptunes Liz Phair.

Well, the band is back. And the question on everyone's chapped lips is - does Wheat still suck? Or have they rediscovered the muse that made Hope and Adams such a fantastic album?

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you yet, but I will soon. The band has released a new 5-song "mini album" called That's Exactly What I Wanted... Exactly That, which is available now. The disc's tracklist:

"What Everyone Keeps Telling Me"
"Little White Dove"
"Until It Takes"
"That's Exactly What I Wanted... Exactly That"
"Washing Machine Blues"

The band is also in the process of finishing up its next full-length LP, Everyday I Said a Prayer for Kathy and Made a One Inch Square. That disc is due out in Spring 2007.

I just ordered a copy of the mini-album (can't we just call it an EP?). We'll see whether or not this is the last time I give the band my money. I hope not, but I'm not overly optimistic.

(Photo source.)

2 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hate to say this, as prior to Per Second I would of course have bought this thing sight unseen, but I'm gonna have to wait for your report to order this. Please let it be good. Pretty please? It should also be noted that the first Wheat record also rocks. At the time, I thought there was some new movement underfoot of very crisply produced, completely feedback free indie rock, as judged by the first two Wheat albums and the first two Death Cab records. Those records sound so much alike: they have complete separation but they sound warm, not cold. Watching Death Cab last night, it struck me that that sound that sounded so new circa 1997, especially after all those years of lo-fi, now just sounds like everything else. Maybe this is because Chris Walla produced 80% of all indie rock records these days?

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think "Per Second" is Wheat's best album. I also think it's one of the best pop albums of the past ten years. "Medeiros" and "Hope and Adams" have their moments, but Wheat seems to be holding back on those discs, as if making grand pop songs like they do on "Per Second" would be a form of selling out, so they opted to just keep it kinda quiet and not change the melodies or tempos too much from song to song. I like the variety on "Per Second" a lot more, but then I've always liked bands who step up to the plate and deliver spectacular singles that SHOULD be played on the radio even if radio stations don't see it that way. I have a feeling the new album will be a big disappointment for fans like myself who fell in love with Wheat via "Per Second."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home