Saturday, November 04, 2006

CMJ Saturday, Afternoon Edition

Back home for a quick nap before tonight's festivities. Caught several more great sets this afternoon. God I love CMJ.

Takka Takka @ The Annex (Brooklyn Vegan party)

First band of the day was Takka Takka. I've heard their name around a lot, but before today had not had a chance to hear their music. (I showed up too late to catch their set opening for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah in Central Park.) I was really impressed. Although they sound like a lot of other bands (who doesn't?), they had a number of very good songs. Definitely a band I want to hear more from.



White Whale @ The Annex (Brooklyn Vegan party)

I missed White Whale at last night's Merge Records showcase, since I cut out after Portastatic to see The Thermals in Brooklyn. So I was glad to have a chance to catch them this afternoon. They were fine. I like the songs from their new album, WWI, but I can't say that their live performance was anything special. Nothing to write home about.



Annuals @ The Annex (Brooklyn Vegan party)

I'm not sold on these guys. They've got two pretty good songs, both of which remind me of Wheat, but the rest of their stuff was pretty boring. I was glad they only played for about 25 minutes today. No pictures.

Elvis Perkins @ The Annex (Brooklyn Vegan party)

This is the second time I've seen Elvis Perkins and had a great time. Elvis and his band sounded great, and I for one love the sound of the standing drum. It makes me think of college football. (Wow did my team barely escape today.)



Ra Ra Riot @ Sin-e (Underrated party)

Coming into CMJ, one of the bands that I wanted to catch most was Ra Ra Riot. I first heard the band a couple of months back when they played the WOXY Lounge, and I really liked what I heard. While their set started kind of slowly - don't know if it was the songs or the performance - the band seemed to get their footing as the show went on. The last few songs they played were utterly fantastic. Can't wait to see them again.



Birdmonster @ Sin-e (Underrated party)

Another show that's going to contend for my favorite of CMJ (see also Apples in Stereo, The Figgs). I've caught Birdmonster three times this year, and every time they've kicked my ass. One of the most exciting live bands going right now.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home