Thursday, October 26, 2006

Stereogum Goes Corporate?

I thought I had read a very vague, odd post on Stereogum about this the other day, but now that I look on the site, I'm not finding anything.

Anyway, Idolator is reporting that Stereogum is either being purchased by or receiving serious funding from Bob Pittman's Pilot Group. You may remember Pittman as the guy who decided back in 2002 that AOL shouldn't focus on broadband, and instead re-dedicated AOL to its dial-up business. He also believed that the future of AOL was premium content - i.e., having people pay extra, even above their AOL membership, for certain content.

So, yeah, that didn't work out too well. I hope Pittman doesn't apply the same strategy to Stereogum. Next thing you know we'll all be getting CDs in the mail to install Stereogum onto our computers; article headlines will be free but we'll pay for every Stereogum post we open in its entirety; and we'll have people in the Stereogum call centers berating us for not spending enough time on the site.

I kid, I kid. If this rumor is true, congrats to Scott, and I look forward to bigger and better things from the already-great Stereogum.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lapatine the founder of stereogum just gor some funding and still has control, so i doubt anything negative happens

 

Post a Comment

<< Home