Thursday, October 19, 2006

Introducing Griddle

One of my favorite things about running this blog is that it gives me the opportunity to hear a lot of music that I otherwise wouldn't. Not only do I spend a decent amount of time digging around the internet looking for new music, but I've also had the good fortune of having a number of artists contact me directly with MP3s or CDs. And while I don't always have as much time as I'd like to listen to it all - and, to be honest, I don't love everything I get - every once in a while I find something that I really like.

One of the bands that I've really been liking lately is a band called Griddle from the San Francisco Bay-area. They've just released their third full-length LP, entitled Klimty Favela, and it's one of the more interesting albums I've heard all year. At times amazingly catchy, at times avant-garde jazzy, and at other times simply weird, Klimty Favela sounds to me like what Faith No More might have sounded like if Mike Patton had started working with John Zorn while that band was still active. At times the album also reminds me of Chicago's Oh My God and mid-period Genesis. (Good things, I assure you.)

Put it all together, and Klimty Favela is one of the most unique and interesting albums I've heard in a long time. And while I can't say I love every song on the album - I've never been a jazz guy - the majority of it is great, and it's a compelling listen from start to finish. Plus, you've got to respect a band that takes the types of chances that Griddle take on this album. I wish more bands would take these types of chances.

Check out my two favorite songs on the album:

"City Made of Teeth"
"Dr. Becky Bolanky"

(Both songs are limited-time downloads. Check them out while you can!)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Klimty Favela is a concept album. So much so that it comes with its own 20-page comic book which tracks the overall themes of the album. Admittedly it's kinda odd, but so's the album, so it all makes sense in a twisted sort of way. Highly recommended.

Learn more about Griddle at their website.
Hear more songs at Griddle's MySpace page (recommended - "Mutiny").

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home