Tuesday, October 31, 2006

CMJ-1 Day

It's two one day until the official start of the CMJ Music Marathon, and bands are already starting to arrive into town and play some shows. Tonight's most interesting show, to me at least, was at Pianos, with La Rocca and Division Day. [The Drones actually headlined, but I left before they came on, and a girl named Jaymay, who has a great voice but kinda boring songs, opened.]

La Rocca, "This Life"

This was the second time I've seen La Rocca this year, and it's clear that they've been doing a lot of touring in the interim. While I thought they put on a good show the last time they came through town, they were extremely tight tonight, and they sounded like a band destined to be playing much bigger rooms. They also played one of my favorite songs of theirs, "Cambodia", which they didn't play the last time around.

I definitely recommend catching La Rocca if you get the chance. They're playing two more CMJ shows, first on Thursday as part of the Dangerbird Records showcase at Pianos with Silversun Pickups (I'll be there), and on Saturday at Union Hall with Irving and Monsters Are Waiting.




Division Day, "Tap-Tap, Click-Click"
Division Day, "Tigers"

I was also excited to finally get a chance to see Los Angeles' Division Day. I'd been hearing the name all over the place for the better part of a year, but for some reason I'd never gotten around to listening to any of their music. This was the band's first ever show in New York, so I figured it was as good a time as any to introduce myself to their music.

I liked them, but didn't love them. They're clearly talented musicians, and put on a good show. However, most of the songs they played tonight were pretty heavy on rythym and texture and not a whole lot of melody. And while that works for Sonic Youth, it got a little boring at times. That said, their last couple songs were really good, and whatever the last song was that they played was incredible. A few more songs like that, and I'm a huge fan.




Haven't decided if I'm hitting any shows tomorrow or not. If I do, it'll probably be Birdmonster and Irving at Pianos.

2 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tap tap click click was division day's last song. it's a jammer, isn't it?

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Steve said...

That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure. Great song.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home