Monday, August 28, 2006

Free Bob Dylan

You may have heard some time back that Bob Dylan was doing a weekly radio show for XM Satellite Radio called the "Theme Time Radio Hour". Like me, though, you may not have wanted to spend $10 per month to hear it.

Well, you no longer have to live your life without the soothing sounds of Bob's 65-year old voice. (Yeah, that's sarcasm.) Billboard is reporting that AOL has obtained the right to simulcast Dylan's show on Wednesday mornings at 10am, starting this week. Then, starting Friday, AOL will also be airing repeats of the 18 episodes Bob has already done.

The shows will be aired on AOL Radio. I've never listened to it before now, but the first channel it put me on was the "All Luther Vandross" channel. I may never need to listen to another channel again.

Oh, and while I see how this helps AOL (like I said, I'd never listened to AOL Radio before this announcement), how exactly is XM helping its subscriber numbers when it keeps losing exclusivity to its top shows? (Dylan, Opie & Anthony.)

1 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, is it about subscribers, or is it about money? I'm sure AOL isn't getting the show for free. Plus, if you log in to AOL Radio you'll see it's very much an agreement with XM in place there.

Finally, I'm willing to bet the small amount of people who like the show and decide to get XM for either O&A or Dylan is worth it considering those you don't get XM probably wouldn't have anyway before the "free" content because they wouldn't have even known they were XM's show to begin with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home