Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Prepare to Be Fascinated by Minutiae

The ever-cranky yet amazingly bright Bob Lefsetz has a great post today detailing a bunch of recent concerts, from big to small, and how many tickets they sold. There's some pretty surprising (and depressing) stats in there. Springsteen barely sold out half the venue at the DTE Energy Music Center (i.e., Pine Knob) outside Detroit.

Bob's best line?
"Hate to tell you this, but Bruce Springsteen is a B-level artist."
Bob's second best line? When talking about a recent Tom Petty/Trey Anastasio show:
"Believe me, Trey didn’t sell one ticket to this show. Hell, Trey’s fans no longer believe in him. They just don’t know what he believes IN! They feel he sold them out, just like he did the members of Phish. Shit, isn’t there any loyalty?"
Speaking a former HUGE Phish fan, I could care less about Trey's solo career. Story over, done, kaput.

3 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Settle down there, partner. Not my words. I was merely amused by them as someone who has never really "gotten" the Springsteen phenomenon.

Is that ok for me to admit as a blogger? I don't get, or really like all that much, Bruce Springsteen?

I don't dislike him, but I also don't think I've ever been compelled to put on one of his albums because I wanted to hear it.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon, Steve - can't you find something nice to say about Nebraska? All indie-rock guys who otherise don't like Springsteen claim to loooove Nebraska!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Admittedly, I purchased Nebraska a few years back when everyone was telling me "If you like alt-country, you'll like Nebraska." Plus, Son Volt participated in that Nebraska tribute album. So I picked it up.

I listened to it once. It bored the living crap out of me, and I haven't listened to it since.

Seriously, I've given Springsteen a million chances, bought several albums, but it just hasn't happened for me. A lot of people love him. To me, he's just ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home