Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Odds and Ends

Here again is my patented "find and dump" post where I link to all the interesting stuff of the last few days... enjoy:

The Rich Girls Are Weeping, a blog that I don't read nearly enough, has the new Wrens song from the long-rumored They Might Be Giants tribute album. Check out "They'll Need a Crane". Sounds like a Wrens song to me (even though it's not), and I likes a lot.

If you didn't like Kill Bill, it looks like you might be out of luck. Apparently Quentin announced at Comic Con that he's set to do two full-length animated movies based on the Kill Bill universe, one a prequel and one a sequel. I loved the second movie, but thought the first one was a tad slow. (Link via Kingblind.)

Harp Magazine has a great article about Golden Smog and the making of the band's new album. I'll be posting my notes on the album soon, but my nutshell review is this -- good on first listen, better with each additional listen, now I love it. (Link via Joel, who I urge you to vote for at some future date.)

If you missed it, tickets for Eric Bachmann and Richard Buckner at Bowery Ballroom on Wednesday, September 20th are on sale.

Lots and lots of live music:

Your favorite and mine, RBally has two great new sets. First is a 5-part set of Guided by Voices, a/k/a, the great rock band of all time, from the 40 Watt in Athens, GA on January 22, 2000. Two parts are up so far.

Second is a short set from The Cure from Sydney, Australia on August 17, 1981.

Sweet Oblivion has a 7-song set of live Catherine Wheel from 1995. (Link via Torr.

And Captain's Dead has a 5-song live set from Jeremy Enigk from his 1996 solo tour. (Also via Torr.) Can't wait to catch Jeremy at Bowery next month in support of his forthcoming followup solo LP.

From Wussy's website comes news that the band will be recording a new record after their east coast tour this fall. Still no dates on the tour, but that's great news about the album.

Finally, check out a song from Lambchop's forthcoming disc, Album Damaged, called "Crackers". The album is out on August 22nd on Merge Records. (Link via Coolfer.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home