Saturday, June 10, 2006

Rogue Wave @ Southpaw, 6/1/06

Had the Twilight Singers not been in town last Thursday, I would have jumped the train to Brooklyn and caught Rogue Wave at Southpaw.

I've only seen the band once, back in 2002 or so, and kinda dismissed them at the time as a Shins knock-off. As time went on, though, I found myself still listening to the band's debut disc, Out of the Shadow. In fact, it's probably one of the 3 or 4 albums I listened to most when I spent 4 months in Tokyo last year. I'm not sure why, but it just seemed to encapsulate the whole out-of-body experience that is living in Japan.

[Another great Tokyo album? The Delgados' Universal Audio. I will never again be able to hear that album without thinking of Japan. Somehow, I even remember that I was listening to the album when I took this blurry, rainy picture near the Imperial Palace in January '05.]

Then, when the band released their much more expansive second disc, Descended Like Vultures, it became clear that there was a lot more to this band than I had initially thought. So I was pretty psyched earlier today to find out, via Large Hearted Boy (who else?), that the band's Southpaw show was up at Live Music Archive.

Check it out (part 1 of 2):

"Catform"
"Medicine Ball"
"Falcon Settles Me"
New Song
"Every Moment"
"Nourishment Nation"
"Bird On A Wire"
New Song
"I'm Only Sleeping"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home