Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Customer Service at its Finest

I don't think I linked to this last week. If I did, apologies for the repetition. Check out how hard it is for this guy to cancel his AOL subscription. Unbelievable.

I go through this exact same type of hassle everytime I shop at FYE (For Your Entertainment) for CDs. There's one in my office building -- that's the only reason I go there. Every single week when I'm buying a collection of newly released indie or off-beat major label acts (they surprisingly have a decent number of indie albums), we go through the exact same dance:

(1) oh, I see you're buying _________. They're kinda alternative, right? Have you picked up the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album yet? Why not?

(2) do you have an FYE card? do you want one? don't you know about the benefits? are you sure you don't want one?

(3) we're offering a free 3 month subscription to a magazine, are you interested? no? are you sure?

I end up spending 10 minutes saying no to them every time, and pleading with them just to let me buy my cds and get back to my office. And somehow I become the bad guy.

Oh, and yeah, I've made my last FYE purchase. Ever.

1 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh i hate that sales approach! if only they knew how much of a turn-off it was for us customers. i am sure the sales people grow to hate it too. one of the worst offenders is the extended warranty offer which is a ripoff for most purchases. i think it all started with mickey D's: Do you want fries with that?

i usually say 'this is all i want today' before they can get a word out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home