Monday, May 22, 2006

This Monday Hasn't Sucked

For the first time in weeks, this Monday hasn't completely sucked at work. And it's also been a pretty good music day around the web, with a lot of interesting things floating around -- not least of which is a .zip of last Monday's Guns n' Roses show that I managed to snag. (Thanks for the head's up, Brooklyn Vegan!) I'll post that baby soon, unless Axl asks me not to, in which case I'll trade him my not posting it for an advance copy of Chinese Democracy.

Today's News

Indie Blog Heaven points out a fascinating little article. Apparently Lucero, the best alt-country/rock/get drunk and sing band going right now, is preparing to record a new album with David Lowery of Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker fame. Cool.

Torr points out an article in The Independent -- Babyshambles has been dropped by Rough Trade, even though they've sold 110,000 copies of their debut album. (Is that in the UK, or worldwide?) That amazes me, and gives me a lot of respect for Rough Trade. Kicking an idiot off your roster who's nothing but bad news, even though he sells records. U.S. labels could learn a lesson from this.

Today's Music

If you haven't downloaded it yet, the new Sonic Youth album, Rather Ripped, is now streaming for FREE at the band's website. Regardless how you hear it, be sure to go pre-order it. It's a fantastic record. (Link via Can You See The Sunset From The Southside?)

All the other blogs beat me to it, but AOL has an exclusive session with one of my current favorite new bands, Margot and the Nuclear So & Sos. I'm seeing them open for Film School tomorrow night. Can't wait.

FINDS OF THE DAY:

#1: Music For Robots links to an amazingly off-beat song (yet wonderful) song by Skittish called "Carousel". Go check it out.

#2: Six Eyes points out a British band called The Sleeping Years who I need to hear more from. Go check out "Islands", and if you like that (you better), go to their MySpace page.

#3: While listening to WOXY.com today, I heard a song -- as I often do -- that I immediately fell in love with called "The Sky is Falling" by The Oktober People.

#4: Finally, Ear Farm spotlights Tennis and the Mennonites (great name), and pretty accurately compares them to Bright Eyes. The first song, "Delayed" is ok, but the second one, "Modern Eye", is pretty dang good. Go listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home