Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Someone Please Silence the Monster

Song of the day: The best song I heard today comes via Said the Gramophone -- "What We Did Wrong" by Duels. I need to do some research to find out more about them, and I'll update when I do. I can't really put a finger on it, but this song has so many reference points, yet it takes them all and turns them into a wonderful and unique little jubilee of a song. Parts make me think of "Mr. Blue Sky", while parts make me think of the Polyphonic Spree (if they didn't suck). All of it makes me happy. Check it out.

Other good stuff:

KEXP Blog features a Washington band called Slender Means. The band's site is streaming 5 songs, and while the first song is just so-so, each song gets better and better. Another band worth learning more about.

Stereogum has a cover of the Smiths song "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" by The Magic Numbers.

You Ain't No Picasso spotlights a nice song by Headlights called "TV".

And, finally, Stereogum (again) links to a new, umm, Meatloaf song leaked from his forthcoming album. The song, "The Monster Is Loose", sounds like a cover of a Linkin Park song, and makes me question the future of the human race. Just awful. And I'd almost forgiven the man for his musical past based on his bitch tits performance in Fight Club. Oh well.

EDITED TO ADD: The Gramophone strikes again. They have a guest post from none other than Will Butler of The Arcade Fire. Score. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home