Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Return of the New York Dolls

A bit of disclosure -- I don't know a whole hell of a lot about the Dolls. I've never owned any of their cd's, haven't heard much of their music, and will forever be scarred by frontman David Johansen's whole "Buster Poindexter" stage. Seriously, I was only 11 at the time, and exposing me to the torture that was "Hot Hot Hot" was just cruel. (Link via the wonderful Badminton Stamps.)

That said, when I heard that the surviving members of the band had reformed a couple of years back for some live shows, including Little Steven's International Underground Garage Festival, I was intrigued. I didn't make that show, as I was out in Jones Beach that day seeing The Dead butcher several Jerry songs, nor did I see the band's other gigs, even though one of my current favorite rock drummers -- Gary Powell of The Libertines and Dirty Pretty Things -- was playing with them. In fact, the closest I got was seeing Johansen standing in front of Slimelight Avalon a couple of months ago as I walked by.

The shows apparently went well, though, and the band has now recorded a new album entitled One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This, which comes out on July 25th on Roadrunner Records.

Roadrunner has posted a couple songs off the new album, and, surprisingly, they have me thinking about picking up the album when it comes out. The first song, "Take A Good Look At My Good Looks", is nothing like what I expected, and sounds quite a bit like mid-period Rolling Stones. The second song, "Dance Like A Monkey", is closer to what I was expecting, and is a pretty decent dirty little ass-shaker. And by ass-shaker I do not mean Popozao.

Take a listen to the songs for yourself over at Roadrunner's site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home