Sunday, May 07, 2006

Pearl Jam, The Academy, New York City [12/31/92]

I've mentioned a few times recently how much I like Pearl Jam's new disc, Pearl Jam. While a lot of people are calling it a "return to form", I don't really buy it. I think the band's last few albums have been excellent (especially Binaural), and, honestly, I've liked pretty much every album they've released. (Although I convinced myself for years that I hated Versus because every last person I knew in college wore that album out in their dorms. The only real problem with that album was the mix of Eddie's voice.)

And while I'm not surprised that Pearl Jam is a good album, I am somewhat surprised that it's an excellent album. I'm also surprised that the album has caused me to go back and spend time listening to the band's earlier albums again, which, although I liked them, I haven't spent a whole lot of time with in recent years. In fact, before last week, I hadn't listened to Ten in years. I gotta say, that album holds up damn well.

I've also been listening a lot to a live disc that came with my pre-order of Pearl Jam. The show is from the band's New Year's Eve show at The Academy in New York City in 1992. I had tickets to see the band 3 times in that era -- once opening for Red Hot Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins in Cincinnati in 1991, once on Lollapalooza in Cincinnati in 1992, and once at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor in 1994 -- and somehow missed all three. Listening to this disc makes me regret missing these shows all over again. Say what you want about the band -- they sound vital on this disc.

And since it doesn't appear that the disc is available from the band's website now that the pre-sale is over, I figured I would share it with you:

"Speed Wash"
"Sonic Reducer"
"Why Go"
"Even Flow"
"Alone"
"Garden"
"Daughter"
"Dirty Frank"
"Oceans"
"Alive"
"Leash"
"Porch"

Enjoy.

1 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! Just viewed Porch performance from MTV Unplugged and brought back some great memories. I was lucky enough to see them in 1992, and it was an unbelievable show... ahh nostalgia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home