Thursday, May 25, 2006

I Have No Title for This Post

Other folks have good stuff to check out, so I will rely on them..

I Am Fuel, You Are Friends posts the fourth in a series of five Ryan Adams "Bedhead" sets. Lots of good stuff. Go listen.

Stereogum points out that there's another new song, "Bus Named Desire", up at Soul Asylum's MySpace page. I wish I could say that's it's better than it is... it doesn't even really sound like Pirner.

If you're like me, the idea of subliminal messages and backmasking in songs has always been intriguing. From hints of Paul McCartney's death to messages about the everlasting majesty of Satan, there have been no end of theories and rumors over the years. Well, someone -- Jeff Milner, apparently -- has now digitally recorded some of the more controversial songs and made the backwards tracks available for anyone to hear. Very cool. Check it out.

I stopped shopping at IKEA when the very first thing I bought there, a short 3-drawer dresser, fell apart within a month of when I bought it. I've never really regretted the decision. Until now, that is. Apparently, if you take the free shuttle from Penn Station to IKEA in Jersey, you get to watch Sondre Lerche write new songs. I suppose I could just ride the train and not actually buy any of that crap...

I skipped seeing Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos at Mercury Lounge the other night. Had a long day and just wasn't in the mood to trek down to Houston St. I kinda wish I'd gone, but, luckily, Bradley's Almanac has posted audio from the band's show in Boston the night before. Excellent stuff.

Plagiarism or not? There's growing talk that the new song from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Dani California", which sucks, by the way, is ripped off from Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance". That song wasn't so good, either, and I had to listen to it 3,482 times in my freshman year of college. Are there similarities? Sure. Plagiarism? I'm not convinced... Compare for yourself.

Finally, new discovery Music Glob has a great cover of Bloc Party's "Pioneers" by Mystery Jets. I'm loving the Jets' new album, Making Dens, and they really take possession of this song and make it their own. Be sure to check it out, especially if you like the original. You may not really recognize it.

3 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please to explain what exactly the bedhead sets are? That nice young woman's blog does not really make it clear.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Not really sure. There have been "Bedhead" sessions of one kind or another floating around for years. I always used to see them on the fan FTP site where I first got 48 Hours and Suicide Handbook years ago, but I never knew what they were. And I only remember one or two. My sense seems to be that they're merely collections of good live songs, but I could be wrong.

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first 'Bedhead' CD's were the name for the selection of the best of the millions of Ryan bootlegs. At first it was a way to capture the various unreleased tracks that never made it to albums. After that, when people have picked the best of the live bootlegs (rather than a whole show) they just call it 'Bedhead'. Ryan allows people to plug there recording equipment directly into the soundboard (mixing desk) so the quality tends to be excellent.

Nemo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home