Friday, May 19, 2006

The Friday Afternoon Dump

Not that type of dump. The other type. The type where I make up for a couple of days of sporadic posting by throwing as much stuff at you as possible. The type that will take you a day or two just to listen to everything in. The type that covers my ass until I can post some of the interesting stuff I've gotten this week.

That type.

Jefitoblog continues to be one my favorite recent finds in the world of blogs. Today he brings us The Posies', err, "farewell show" from San Francisco in September of 1998. For those that don't know, the band did indeed break up back in 1998, but I think that lasted for about 6 months. Jon and Ken ended up doing an acoustic tour together in 2000, which was spectacular, and where two of my friends ended up meeting, falling in love, and eventually getting married. Luckily for them, "farewell" only meant "see you in a few months." The Posies are now officially rebanded.

Continuing on the live show front, Bradley's Almanac posts a recent Mogwai show from Boston here. Never been a huge fan of the band, but I've liked what I've heard from their latest disc, Mr. Beast.

New Yo La Tengo! The album's not out until September, but you can go hear "Beanbag Chair" over at You Ain't No Picasso.

Go check out a few interesting non-album tracks from Desaperecidos over at Another Form of Relief. If you don't know who Desaperecidos is, it is (was?) a band fronted by Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst which explored Conor's rockier, political side. I liked the album when it came out a few years ago, but honestly haven't listened to it since.

So Much Silence has two great recent posts of live in-studio performances from WOXY and KEXP. Go listen to Jason Lytle of Grandaddy, and the previously-gushed-over Silversun Pickups.

Interesting. A Tribe Called Quest is reforming. I always kinda liked them, especially "I Left My Wallet In El Segundo". to reform. (Via Kingblind.)

Finally, a few videos to ease you off into the weekend. Not music videos, but instead old-school clips of Gene Siskel (RIP) and Roger Ebert doing promo clips for their show in the late 80's. Interesting stuff. They're not all as dark as the first one, so if you have a chance, watch all three.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home