Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Posies, Live Acoustic In-Store NYC, 9/29/05

I haven't talked about them much on this site before, but one of my favorite bands of all time is The Posies. They're also, in my opinion, one of the true unrecognized great artists of the last 15 years, both on record and live. It's not an overstatement to call their live shows an onslaught. I mentioned last week that The Whigs are loud in concert. Well, The Posies are louder. Without fail, my ears are ringing for a day after an electric Posies show. (Not necessarily healthy, but a true sign of the rock.)

In recent years, the band has been interspersing it's full-band electric shows with acoustic shows by its two key songwriters/vocalists, Ken Stringfellow and Jon Auer. They even did an tour a few years back, and released the excellent (though too short) live disc, In Case You Didn't Feel Like Plugging In [BUY].

The last time the band was in New York for a show at the Bowery Ballroom (another ear-ringer), they did an in-store gig at a store somewhere in town (I forget exactly where). I was supposed to go, but got stuck at work. Luckily for me, I discovered that someone taped the show and put it up on Dime a Dozen. Now you can listen to it too. Be warned, though -- it's a very loose, sloppy, fun little set. If you're looking for an introduction to the band, start with either the live disc or their classic Frosting on the Beater [BUY for only $6.98!].

Without further ado, take a listen:

Introduction
"Conversations"
"I Guess You're Right
"Suddenly Mary"
"My Big Mouth"
"Apology"
"Any Other Way"
"Sad to Be Aware" [Highly recommended]
Stage Banter
"Solar Sister"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home